Wednesday, November 19, 2014

DIY snowflake necklace - Perfect gift for your girl friend

Today I am sharing my first post for Christmas this year. It is about making a beautiful snowflake necklace for your sister, friend or your wife /girl friend (If you are a guy reading this post ;)) to gift this holiday season or may be one for yourself. It is so easy to make and you will be surprised "How gorgeous" it looks. :))Lets start making!!


Materials Required :
One sheet of Shrink plastic (I used Grafix clear)
Marker
Scissors
Xacto knife
Lobster clasp
3 jump rings
Chain of your preferred length. (I used 18") 
Hole punch
Rhinestones
Jewelry pliers
Glue (I used G S hypo cement )
Rubbing alcohol & cotton (Optional)


Step 1: Chose a template (Google search) to trace the snowflake design. You can either print it out and use as a template or you can put the sheet of shrink plastic on your monitor and trace it directly from the screen. My snowflake measured 4.5" in length and width before shrinking.



Step 2: Cut the shape using scissors and blade. Use blade for the inner parts of the snowflake and scissors for the outer part. Be careful to not ruin your design while using sharp scissors. I am saying so because I did spoil my first design while cutting the inner parts of the snowflake with scissors and that is why I recommend you to use blade for the inner and intricate parts of the design. The scissors tend to slide along while turning the design to cut.You should keep in mind that it is not paper and it is plastic ;) (It may sound silly to you until you experience it ;) , so take my word and thank me later ;))



Step 3: Use rubbing alcohol and a piece of cotton to remove the sharpie marks from the design. If you want to avoid this step , trace the design a little larger than you want and cut the design in such a way that you don's get the marks.


Step 4: Once you are done cutting your design,Make a hole with help of a hole punch on the top of the design.


Step 5: Put the cut design on a piece of cardboard to shrink it in the oven. Preheat the oven to 325F and keep the design in the oven for 2-3 minutes.(Refer the package) Enjoy watching the shrink !! The design do curl while shrink and returns to flat .At that moment you can take the design out from the oven. Do not leave the design in the oven and move away.Be there and enjoy the process .





Step 6: Once the design is shrunk (It shrinks to 1.5" and the width of each stem is less than half inch), the next step is to decorate it with rhinestone to give the pendant that gorgeousness. I used G S hypo cement glue as it comes with a precision tip and it is so easy to use with rhinestones. However you can also use super glue or E 6000 for this.



Step 7: Once the glue is dry, Attach a jump ring to the top of the pendant and pass it through the necklace chain. Attach one jump ring on one side and another with lobster clasp on the other side to complete the necklace. Voila !! You now have a beautiful necklace to gift your girl.



How gorgeous is that ? Have you ever made any jewelry out of shrink plastic ? I hope many of you would have already used shrink plastic in childhood days but this is the first time for me. However I did a lot of experiment before actually doing this project to determine the size , it was fun playing with it. You can also make a pair of earrings to go with the necklace. It would make a great matching set of jewelry.

What do you think about this snowflake necklace? Feel free to share your comments below :)

62 comments:

  1. This is beautiful and perfect for little girls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! It came out great and it's perfect for the winter :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great idea! I can think of my cousins who would absolutely love this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! These are adorable! We decorated an entire gazebo for Christmas in Chihuly inspired shrink plastic last year ( http://www.libertyhillhouse.com/2013/12/01/dale-chihuly/ )but I never thought to make snowflakes. Pinning now so I don't forget to make these with the kids this December.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Amazing DIY.. Love this snowflake necklace :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so pretty, Sahana! I never would have thought to create that, but I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And by the way, thank you so much for sharing at the (extra-long) #homematters linky party! A brand new party starts TOMORROW! We hope to see you then! :)

      Delete
  7. This is something my 13yr old son would do to give to a girl he likes.. he is very creative that way..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the snowflake its so creative and with the diamonds it really makes it pop. I never heard of shrink paper before I'll have to look for that I bet the kids or atleast the girls would enjoy a craft like this

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would of loved to pin this and share but you don't have social share buttons :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Share buttons are at the end of the post Tricia :) Thank you for your lovely comment :) I am sure whether its kids or girls they will love this craft :)

      Delete
  10. This is such a beautiful, inexpensive craft that I can't wait to try! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't believe you made that, it's really beautiful. I wish I was more crafty but your instructions look doable even for me lol, so maybe I can make one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Omg that is so pretty!!! Absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. As a child, I did this with Shrinky Dink kits all the time, but I've never done it since. I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like this DIY! I love glittery white snowflakes :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great necklace, it came out very beautifully. I love this idea and will have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's beautiful! With the Frozen phase right now it would also make the perfect gift for a little fan.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's really cute. My niece would love making this.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is lovely. I have tried using shrink plastic for jewellery but have always had issues with it shrinking more one way then the other, so having to make things long and thin to start with to compensate. You don't seem to have needed to do that here, do you think this lovely super clear shrink plastic is better for this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julia :) I never had that kind of issue ! I actually tested several pieces before this to get an idea of how much it is shrinking but everything came out well. Ya I used super clear one. I have not tried matte or white one. I don't know whether the type of finish affects.I guess it may differ from brand to brand. So, you better try different brand next time :)

      Delete
  19. This is so beautiful. I love your tutorial and pictures: they make it easy for non DIY people like me.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great idea! I love how it turned out .

    ReplyDelete
  21. How much fun and creative idea. I might have to do this with one of my nieces. Im not sure my boys would like it as much as they would

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is a cute necklace. I have seen a lot of really creative projects using this technique. I see a lot of people make earrings like this.

    ReplyDelete
  23. So beautiful. My Frozen-obsessed daughter would love this for her upcoming birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sahana, What a beautiful necklace... Love it :)

    Praveena

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh that is such a beautiful piece! It's something that we can all make and give as present(s) to friends this Christmas. I can even tweak it a bit to make it more personalized for the recipient.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow! Sahana, Beautiful :) Great thought!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love this DIY, you're so creative. This is such a beautiful necklace.

    ReplyDelete
  28. That is beautiful. You are very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  29. You're one creative woman! Love the necklace. My sister would definitely love this.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is so darn cute!!! Little girls would love tis!

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is a really cute idea, any girl would appreciate such an adorable gift!

    ReplyDelete
  32. this is a cute idea - great for elementary school children.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Well that just turned out cute! I really like it, and I bet it was fun making it too.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh gosh - this totally looks so beautiful - only if I can do it myself, too HAHA

    ReplyDelete
  35. What an adorable gift idea. I've pinned it to give it a try later.

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a cute and creative idea! So festive and I know my girlfriends will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh wow this is so cool I love the idea and might try to make something like that for my sister

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love snowfalkes! What a cute, clever, and simple project. Rory and I will have some fun! :)

    ~Lorelai
    Life With Lorelai

    ReplyDelete
  39. This is gorgeous!! Who would have thought shrinky dinks could come this far! I love how delicate this looks. A great project for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  40. That is such a sweet necklace -- love it! Thanks so much for sharing at Snickerdoodle! :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. I would have never guessed the pendant was made from shrinky plastic. It is beautiful. Thank you for sharing it with Make It Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Congratulations on being featured on WUW. Check it out here- http://tanyaanurag.blogspot.com/2014/11/wake-up-wednesday-linky-party-44.html

    Happy Thanksgiving,
    Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  43. Love this idea! Makes me think fondly of the shrinkie-dinks I made as a child. :) Thanks so much for linking up at Snickerdoodle Sunday!

    Sarah (Sadie Seasongoods)

    ReplyDelete
  44. Oh my! This looks incredible! Pinned and tweeted. We always love partying with you, I hope to see you tonight at 7 pm at our party. Happy Monday! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete
  45. What a creative gift idea! I really love this necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Congratulations! You've been featured on Wicked Awesome Wednesday! Thank you for sharing your snowflake pendant tutorial. Feel free to drop by the website to pick up your "I've Been Featured!" button.

    ReplyDelete
  47. This is great! I haven't used shrink plastic but, want to after seeing how easy! Pinned & sharing. Congrats! Your project will be featured on @DearCreatives thanks for sharing. Hope to see you again this week. Don't forget to pop by and pick up a featured button tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  48. I think this is beautiful, and I'm going to pin it for future reference. Not sure I can get it together to make them this year, but maybe. If not, next year for sure. Thanks so much for sharing this and for all the clear photos.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Seriously, Sahana! That is just gorgeous! I love it! I'm going to try it soon hopefully and I pinned it so I can find it again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  50. Great gift idea, thanks for sharing this on Fabulous Friday Party

    ReplyDelete
  51. What a pretty necklace! Found it on the #HomeMattersParty! Pinning it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  52. That is BEAUTIFUL! I never thought to use shrink plastic for jewelry making! Happy to be hosting the #HomeMattersParty with you!

    ReplyDelete
  53. This is actually very pretty. I haven't used these products before but I just might have to try them to get a pretty necklace like this. #HomeMattersparty

    ReplyDelete
  54. I love how you added the rhinestones to the snowflake so it sparkles. This is such a pretty snowflake necklace! #HomeMattersParty

    ReplyDelete
  55. I love snowflakes! This is so cute. Would this be a fun craft idea for a winter girl's night. Thanks for sharing at the #HomeMattersParty :)

    ~Lorelai
    Life With Lorelai

    ReplyDelete
  56. Excellent article. Very interesting to read. I really love to read such a nice article. Thanks! keep rocking. Amethyst Crystal Necklace

    ReplyDelete